Thinking about “Green Woman”

December 8, 2019 at 10:22 am | Posted in Inspiration, Patchwork, Uncategorized | 2 Comments
Tags:

One of the parts I enjoyed most about working on the Displays and Crafting areas of the Dublin 2019 Worldcon was the collaboration with the artists who provided the artwork used for the convention. During that time I fell in love with Iain Clark’s Green Woman, which I thought would make a splendid quilt. I got his permission to use the image, and now the time’s ripe for taking on the challenge, and a challenge it will be.

Here’s the image that got a hold on me:

Green Woman - Original Artwork by Iain J. Clark, used with permission.

I’m a sucker for the colours and forms of nature, so it’s no surprise this one got to me. Where to start, though? Probably the easiest part will be the face – just a few solid colours in clearly delineated areas. Should be easy to sew using the tried and tested methods from Ruth B. McDowell’s “Piecing – Expanding the Basics”. Next, the hair, all of it, and the lovely leaves and berries and flowers it develops into. That will be the challenging part. And on top of that, the white foreground, with some of the other elements weaving through it. Love the effect, and it’s something I definitely want to keep.

So, time to stop procrastinating and start making some decisions. First up, size: the final quilt needs to be big enough so I’ll be able to sew the pieces reasonably well, but not so big it’s totally overwhelming on the wall. I’m finding this very hard to decide in theory, so I got a few differently sized versions of the line drawing (the one we used as a colouring page in Dublin) printed out. This one’s the A0 version (about 80×120 cm) that I had taped to my craft table for a few weeks:

Green Woman - A0

While that size is well in the “reasonably easy to sew”-range, after looking at it for a while, I found the size a bit too much for my taste. I got another couple of printouts, one in A1, and one in a size in between those. The A1 turned out to be too small, so the in-between size it is, with the image about 75×105 cm big.

The next step will be coming up with a sewing plan, and to figure out how to actually create all that crazy hair. I have ideas, but no idea how they will actually look like when executed. Time to make some samples – a task I can endlessly procrastinate on, so I’m writing it down here so you can hold me accountable!

 

2 Comments »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

  1. Wow. I am impressed. Can’t wait to see how you start to tackle this project. 🙂

  2. […] Last time around I showed you what exactly it is I’m tackling with this project, and now there actually are some first steps! It’s all black ink on paper though, no fabric involved yet. […]


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: