Scrappy and Useful

July 23, 2017 at 1:53 pm | Posted in Patchwork | 1 Comment

My old ereader hadn’t made the healthiest of impressions lately, and to save myself from the horrors of it breaking on me in the middle of my vacation, I got a new one. Of course the new one has a different size than the old model, and besides, its bag was getting a bit tatty from being carried around all day, everyday. So, a new bag was in order, and what a good opportunity to use up some of those scraps! I pulled out a coordinating set of leftover strips from my scrapbox and got to work:

Ereader - old and new

Old on the right, new on the left. And since I’m sure you’ll want to see the bags instead of the books, there you go:

Bags for Ereader

Both are made using the same steps: prepare a piece of batting and backing, and sew the strips directly onto it, saving the quilting. The first strip (at the opening) is sewn right on right directly together with the backing, so after turning there isn’t an open seam there. When the batting and backing is all covered with fabric strips, fold into bag, give the flap its final form, and edge all the open edges with bias tape. To make that step easier, I sewed the front and back together using a straight stitch first, which is then hidden under the bias tape.

A quick, satisfying and useful project, and a few scraps gone!


1 Comment »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

  1. Love these. Might have to make myself one!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: