SAL Update: A Start on SeashellsDecember 18, 2016 at 10:42 am | Posted in Embroidery | 14 Comments
Tags: Goldwork, SAL
After finally having finished my paisley pillow cover last time, I managed to get a start on the goldwork project “Seashells”. First, the preparation work: framing the project up. The RSN Goldwork book recommends using a slate frame, but also gives the option to use a ring frame. Goldwork embroidery needs to be stretched very tightly, which is very hard to achieve in a ring frame, and I don’t have a ring frame where I can work hands-free. Therefore I took the more cumbersome option, mounting it on my Millenium frame. This makes it possible to comfortably work with both hands free, but makes it decidedly non-portable.
I also had to replace the backing fabric provided with the project, since the backing was much smaller than the silk with the design. The normal order of work is to attach the silk to the backing, not the other way round! So I grabbed a bigger piece of cotton from my fabric stash and attached the silk to that. That made it possible to frame the whole thing correctly:
Then it was time to start the embroidery. First part for all kinds of goldwork is to work all the non-goldwork pieces of the project, in this case the silk embroidery. The thread provided turned out to be something that may or may not contain real silk, but definitely contains viscose. It’s very slippery, but shiny. I like the effect, although working it is far from easy. (I have no illusions that working with silk would be any easier, although the source of the difficulties might be different.) Here’s how far I’ve come:
Here are the other members of the SAL who are posting today. Make sure to check out their work, it’s amazing: Avis, Claire, Gun, Carole, Lucy, Jess, Sue, Kate, Debbie Rose, Christina, SusanP, Kathy, Margaret, Cindy and Helen. Welcome to Steph, who’s joining us for the first time!
If you would like to join in please contact Avis, who will give you full details.