Mexican Bird – New Project!March 28, 2016 at 9:10 am | Posted in Patchwork, Quilting | 2 Comments
It is almost a tradition by now that my patchwork group uses a couple of days on the long Easter weekend for sewing. Having finished my challenge project for this year, I needed something new to take along. A couple of things came together to create the idea for this one:
First, I got a set of Inktense blocks from my quilting friends as a birthday present. Not generally being somebody who uses paint of any kind on her quilts, I was a bit stumped what to use them for.
Second, I have a couple of beautiful folk art paintings from South America on my living room wall, and a couple of weeks ago my mom remarked (not for the first time) that one of them would make a beautiful quilt:
I agree with the suitablity of this one for a quilt, but wouldn’t want to appliqué all those bits and pieces, and what about those feathers? So when my mom brought this up again a couple of weeks ago, things suddenly clicked. This would be a perfect opportunity to try out my Inktense blocks! There would be some challenges involved, for sure, but I can easily imagine for this to make a very effective quilt. So, I spent most of the weekend making some samples:
Most of the shapes on the original painting are outlined with a dark colour, and I choose to quilt the outlines with dark grey thread. I also got myself a set of Inktense pencils in addition to the blocks, so I would be able to draw finer lines. You can see the lines below the quilting on the frame on the left side of the sample. When dry, Inktense acts a lot like pencil, but to fixate it and bring out the beautiful colours, it must be made wet. When you’re not careful, this can lead to bleeding, which you can most clearly see on the blue shape on the left.
I decided to try to recreate the white shading on the blue leaves and the structure of the feathers by quilting heavily on top of the finished colour field, and I quite like the effect. The colour underneath the white quilted feather is a bit weak on this sample to bring out the quilting nicely, though.
I finished all the painting first on this sample before starting to quilt. In order to possibly contain the bleeding a bit better and to try out a few more things, I created a second sample:
Here I put the grey quilt lines in first, and painted on top of the already quilted piece. My thoughts were that the quilt lines would possibly form a natural barrier for the bleeding, and the batting would soak up some of the water instead of it spreading out into the fabric. This mostly worked, and I like the effect. There’s only a little bit of strong bleeding on the brown twigs at the top. This sample showed me another potential problem, though. The white quilting on the blue leaf on the left suddenly isn’t white anymore, it’s blue! Looks like I need to be very careful to properly fix the pigment into the fabric before quilting on top of it, especially when using white thread. It also matters how much paint I use and in which way: painting with the Inktense sticks on already wet fabric gives a strong colour, but a higher tendency for bleeding out and the necessity to use even more water to fixate the paint.
So, definitely more adventure ahead when making the full quilt, but I have a much better idea now what to be careful of. I have now transferred the whole pattern to the fabric and am currently basting the quilt – it’ll be a few days before I can show much progress!