All the Colours of the RainbowJanuary 23, 2016 at 8:54 pm | Posted in Embroidery, Patchwork | 3 Comments
Tags: raw-edge appliqué
I am currently in the process of finishing a project that has been in the works for more than two years. It’s the second in a series that I started after taking a course with Ruth Issett at the Schwäbischer Kunstsommer at Kloster Irsee in 2013. While looking for the post about the first quilt in that series I realized that I didn’t actually ever post a picture of that quilt, and neither have I shown you the things I created at that course! That definitely needs to be rectified. So let’s start with that series I wanted to show you.
The course was named The Puzzle of Colour, and given that title it was no surprise that we discussed the different colours and played with them all week. After returning home, I was full of more ideas to try out, and started to create the bits and pieces needed for this quilt:
You can see that the different rows run through the colours of the rainbow. I layered two adjacent colours on top of each other, created a pattern with running stitches and then cut into the upper layer to reveal bits of the layer below. You can see this a bit better in this detail shot, although I have to admit that this quilt refused to be photographed nicely:
Within the individual rows, the pattern gets larger from left to right. After I finished this quilt, I immediately started to work on another one. This time I was going to explore how the different colours look like with a light, medium and dark background. While it is still a work in progress, the effect is already there:
The coloured fabric is layered horizontally behind the white, grey and black front, and the circles are cut out. While I secured the edges with the sewing machine before cutting them out, this is still basically raw-edge appliqué, and I tidied up those edges with different embroidery stitches. This ended up as another research project, since I tried out many different stitches to see what would work in that function, and what wouldn’t. I’ll go into more detail on my findings in another post. For starters, here’s a close-up of the very first square I embroidered on that quilt: