Stumpwork WaterlilyApril 13, 2013 at 5:55 pm | Posted in Embroidery | 7 Comments
When I first went to the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham back in 2008, I was amazed about the wealth of needlework supplies available that I’d never come across before. The products available certainly didn’t stop at patchwork and quilting supplies, there were booths for all other kinds of needlework as well!
I found myself attracted by the vendors with different kinds of embroidery kits, and circled back time and again to look at the pretty packages on offer. While I generally like to design my own projects, for learning new things I find it useful to start with a small kit. So, after a bit of contemplating, I ended up with a stumpwork kit from the Coleshill Collection. And now, after almost five years (oops), I finally finished the project:
What took me so long, you might ask? I started the project soon after returning from Birmingham, but got distracted somewhere along the way. When I wanted to get back to it after a while, I realized the fabric had acquired a smudge that would be visible in the finished project. At that point, I started to feel very reluctant to work on the project, since I couldn’t be sure I’d be able to remove the smudge. This is not the kind of project you can wash afterwards! So, it got carefully put away and pretty much forgotten about.
At the beginning of this year, while trying to clean up my craft room, I found the bag with this project again. I realized that I needed to get the smudge out right now, or I’d never finish it! So I went and carefully washed the spot in the fabric with some ox-gall soap, and to my delight, after the fabric was dry again, no trace of the smudge was left! I then started working on the project regularly, and just a few weeks later, I was all done! I damp-stretched the finished embroidery, and now I only need to find a square frame to put it in, which might be difficult. But I’m really happy this is finally done, and I do like the result!