Work in Progress

September 16, 2007 at 5:51 pm | Posted in Embroidery, Lace | Leave a comment
Tags:

I’ve got no finished work to show this week, but that doesn’t mean that nothing’s happening around here. I started a couple of new projects, and there is some follow-up to previous posts to do.

I wrote about my first attempts at Mountmellick Embroidery last week. One of the problems that came up was that of material, since the padded satin stitches looked less than optimal with the yarn I used. To try some more stitches and different materials, I started another pattern from the sampler:

Mountmellick Embroidery - Dogrose in progress

It’s a dogrose, and you can see the tracing with the water-soluble pen here. I’m using a No. 8 perle cotton this time, which should be a bit softer. The stem is worked in Mountmellick stitch, which looks like little triangles in a row, thus suggesting thorns on the stem. On the flower you can see the beginning of the split stitch outline that will eventually become padded satin stitch. The leaves will be done in a very creative use of buttonhole stitch, and the center of the flower will be French knots.

Project 2 I started is another needlepoint lace motif. I took this one directly from the Encyclopedia of Needlework. It’s done in raised Venetian lace there, and I want to try this with this pattern. I also tried something different in preparing the pattern, hoping I’d solve the problem regarding getting dark spots from the black pen on the lace. I got some transparent adhesive foil (usually used for protecting school books) and covered the cardboard pattern with it. It is a bit reflective, so I was afraid I would have problems seeing and my camera taking sharp pictures, but luckily that seems not to be the case:

Dillmont lace pattern - in Progress

As a pleasant surprise, this adhesive foil solves another problem I wrote about in Part 3 of my needlepoint lace tutorial: I don’t have any trouble hitting the holes in the pattern from the backside anymore. I still use a pin from the front to guide the sewing needle to the right place, but now I’m hitting the hole with it on the first try, everytime. That’s a huge improvement in regard to the time needed to sew the outline. 😀 So I’m quite happy with how things are going at the moment.

Advertisements

Leave a Comment »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: